Saturday, July 26, 2008

Loosing those e-chains!

Today a friend forwarded one of those e-mail chain letters to me. Nothing against the friend who sent it, he's a lovely guy, but I have to say I am really sick of the ridiculous lengths purveyors of chain letters will go to in order to induce enough guilt to ensure the perpetuation of these viral pieces of e-junk echoing exponentially around the cyberworld.

Here's some of what it said. I have taken pity on you and removed the pictures:
Jesus said, 'If you are ashamed of me, I will be ashamed of you before my Father.'

Not ashamed? Pass this on ONLY IF YOU MEAN IT!! Yes, I do Love God.

HE is my source of existence and Savior.

He keeps me functioning each and every day. Without Him, I will be nothing.

But, with Christ, HE strengthens me. (Phil 4:13)

This is the simplest test. If You Love God... And, are not ashamed of all the marvelous things HE has done for you...Send this to ten people and the person who sent it to you! Now do you have the time to pass it on?

Easy vs. Hard

Why is it so hard to tell the truth but Yet so easy to tell a lie?

Why are we so sleepy in church but Right when the sermon is over we suddenly wake up?

Why is it so easy to delete a Godly e-mail, but yet we forward all of the nasty ones?

Notice the unwarranted assumptions here.

First, that this is a "godly" email.

Second, that if you don't pass it on you are ashamed of Jesus.

Both are untrue. It is not godly to assume an authority that only God has. That's ungodly. Who is the author of this chain letter to say that you are sinning if you don't pass it on? Unfortunately the leadership of some churches assumes a similar position when it comes to their pronouncements, but at least you can argue with them. Chain letters are just an infuriatingly non-personal and anonymous waste of bandwidth.

As for me, the last question simply does not apply. I never forward nasty emails, because I don't forward any emails. When it comes to e-chains, I work strictly on the 'anfata' principle - "absolutely never forward anything to anyone!" Never ever. It's the only way to break these chains of guilt with their false gospel of obedience to some unknown self-proclaimed 'e-prophet'.

No comments: