Thursday, August 7, 2008

And are you the Minister?

Visited a member of our church in her 100th year today. She turned 99 a couple of months back. She suffers from short term memory loss. In the half hour or so I was there she asked me about ten times who I was and did the same for her carer who was bringing in her washing for her. Alzheimer's is very economical. You only need a few sentences. And you can re-use them many times. In fact you have to.

This nonagenerian an amazing woman. She still lives at home and cares for her 63 year old developmentally disabled daughter who is nearly blind. She played the organ at church for decades and still plays when she goes to day care at the hospital nursing home. Lately she has been a bit down. She feels that God has given up on her. I shared with her those scriptures that talk about God never leaving nor forsaking us and Jesus Christ being the same yesterday, today and forever, and can only hope that she at least retains the feeling she had when she was reminded of that even though I had to repeat it several times. She probably doesn't remember that I was ever there by now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a cartoon posted on my fridge for years. It showed two elderly ladies sitting in rocking chairs on a covered porch. The one is saying to the other, "I've lived so long now that my friends already in heaven probably think I didn't make it!"

It always made me laugh, but also reminded me of my grandmother who used worry about unexpected issues like that. She lived well into her 90s.

Some think of alzheimers as cruel, but in some ways it's kind. They get to meet new people hundreds of times a day (even if it's the same one over and over), but also don't have recollections of the sorrows and regrets over their lifetime.

The Pook said...

My own granma died (a believer) aged 100 this last January. She still had more marbles than I do! In the end she just wanted to go, after she fell out of bed in December and hurt her arm. She pretty much stopped eating after that. The first week in January she told my brother "I tried to die at Christmas time, but I couldn't." She wasn't disappointed for long though as the Lord called her home a couple of weeks later.